SUMMARY: Browser Favorites and Bookmarks

Subject: SUMMARY: Browser Favorites and Bookmarks
From: "Edwin Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:21:33 -0500

Many days ago I wrote:

<<<
"When researching a subject on the internet, how do you organize important URL's that you've visited?

I've downloaded a few utilities and tried them, but nothing I've seen so far really helps."

Hannah recommended Blink. Sorry, I can't go along with all of the ads and popups. Really annoying. Also makes me wonder what they'll do with my links.

Bill Turner keeps his Netscape bookmarks window open, and organizes in folders as he goes along.

Geoff Hart reorganizes and adds his Favorites to an HTML page periodically.

Brad Jensen notes that browsers are primitive with respect to organizing favorites and bookmarks. He dreams of a researcher's browser, which keeps your results in a database, and lets you tag it with notes. I found a hit that claims to do this, on CNET. Not enough time to thoroughly research that though.

John Gilger recommends ilor.com. There is an interesting demo at the site. As far as I can tell, you can have one list, which opens in a smaller browser window. After performing a search with ask jeeves, you see popup menu when you point at a link. The list can be emailed or added to your favorites list. This is a keeper.

Maaike Groenewege is using a weblog. The weblog can have different categories, and it is simple to post a new entry with url's inside. Along these lines I tried Radio UserLand, but found it too complicated. I didn't notice any search capability in these products either.

Deborah Kluge uses blink.com, which is a blogger (and has ads - you pay to have them removed.)

Mark Levinson uses mybookmarks.com, where you can save your bookmarks and favorites on a web page. Nice execution. The presentation is attractive, and very useful.

I tried a few other options. URL Organizer costs $20. You can create categories and sub categories. Drag your URL into the window, and add notes. You can export as Favorites, or one Bookmark.htm file.

Another utility is Webmark. The author no longer supports this, and is giving the program away. Webmark provides the function I was looking for, but there is only a one-time export function, which seems to disable the program.

Ideally, the URL organizing software should:

1. Work in a stand-alone fashion, or allow you to right-click and send to a defined category or sub-category. Also, add a note.

2. In the stand-alone app you can organize, or double click to access the URL.

3. Provide a console where you can select what folders to include in an export. Also setup ftp to a specific location.

Edwin A. Wurster
17 Hollybrook Way | Voorhees, NJ 08043
856-435-7823

www.ehelp.com/techwr