Re: Wearing Many Hats

Subject: Re: Wearing Many Hats
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:04:06 -0700

On 19 Mar 2002 at 14:46, Anita Lewis wrote:

> I'm wondering if there are other writers on this list for whom tech
> writing is only a small portion of their jobs? I'd like to subscribe to
> a trainers list, but haven't found anything worth considering yet. Does
> anyone have any suggestions about where to find something like this?
> How do you "jacks-of-all-trades" keep yourselves valuable in your
> situations? All input is appreciated.

I am in our "Software Support Group". I spend a lot of time alpha
testing all software (and often hardware) that comes from
engineering. I write the help files for this software/hardware and
sometimes the manuals (if no one else is available to do it).
Occasionally, I write marketing material, and I typically always
provide input on the material (e.g., proof/edit) that marketing
produces. I provide customer support when calls come in to our
other "Application Engineers" on software that can't be answered by
them, and general support if our phones are overloaded. And... I
teach a training class about every three months.

I LOVE the diversity -- I am never bored and I don't think I'll ever
reach a point where I don't have anything to do. I have been at this
job for 4.5 years. I have learned a tremendous amount, and I learn
more every day.

I suppose the best way to be "valuable" is to do all things and do
them well :) Part of this is skill, part of this is work habit, and part is
attitude. I see people who post to this list that seem like timid little
mice who are scared to move for fear of being squashed. These
people will never make it in a role where you have to "do all/be all".
So... just jump in with both feet and do it!

Dana W.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/