RE: Poll suggestion: Lurkers

Subject: RE: Poll suggestion: Lurkers
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 06:18:54 -0500

Hey Greg,

>Side question - is this thread describing the issue that the non-lurkers
>are angry about the lurkers for not adding anything to TECHWR-L?

I'd say not. I think what the "posters" are curious
about is why the "non-posters" don't participate more.

I don't get the impression that there are too many
participants (with perhaps two or three exceptions)
who think that they're God's gift to tech writing -
but many post when they can contribute, even if
they're a little unsure about their contribution. I
myself do this (including my silly limericks, on
occasion.)

It's possible (likely) that there are voices that
could make valuable contributions that aren't, for
whatever reason. I, for one, am always interested in
hearing other experiences, opinions, and points of
view, because no matter how inexperienced a writer is,
he or she is looking at things from a different
perspective than I am. Back when I worked as a
technical illustrator, I did a bit of 3D modeling,
and I find I'm still curious to see things from every
angle.

Certainly we can do without the "me too" posts (and
such are proscribed by the Techwr-l rules). But if
someone happens to be lurking and they have something
to add to a discussion, many of us would like to hear
from them.

My $.02, YMMV, IMO, and other caveats.

Dan

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can.
That is the only secret of style. -- Matthew Arnold