RE: A Simple Philosophy

Subject: RE: A Simple Philosophy
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:37:22 -0500

Several posters have suggested that technical
writers should be careful of what they post to
the list, being aware of the possibility that a
reader might misunderstand our intentions.

My reply: As professional communicators, we should
also be aware of how easily we might misunderstand
someone else's intentions.

It is important for writers (posters) to communicate
clearly. It's equally important for readers to
develop an ability to separate disagreements about
ideas and concepts from personal attacks.

Unfortunately, grammar and high schools in this
country ceased teaching logic and rhetoric long ago,
and the ability to differentiate valid arguments
from ad hominem attacks is virtually non-existent.
Not only on the list, but throughout our society.

Dan

Who is seriously considering a parting limerick.