Re: lurkers and lurking

Subject: Re: lurkers and lurking
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:54:42 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai" <asmodai -at- wxs -dot- nl>

> >It's nice for a kid out of college to have self-confidence, but
> >self-delusion is another matter. There's a woeful lack of
evidence of
> >motiviation, training, and education that will help this
student understand
> >how to work in an organization.

It is the intolerance and self-centeredeness of the young that
drives social and business evolution.

> What I found very interesting is the major difference in how
Curriculi Vitae
> [CV/resumes] are. Most of the American ones I saw had clear
sentences on
> how the company would be much better if they would hire this
person. I've
> never really seen this in the Dutch [European] market, where the
CVs are
> more factual.

That's because we know in America that attitude is more important
than skills.

> Is/was there a reasoning behind the approach of profiling
oneself more, in
> my eyes a bit more narcissist [but that is probably due to
cultural
> differences], in this way?

The employer wants to know what you are going to do for them.
Showing that
you recongize that your job is to contribute to the success of the
enterprise,
brings you the attention of the employer. it is very common,
especially in new
companies, for the employees to have a stake of some sort in the
company, through
stock or options. The other employees, and the employer, want to
know that you
are going to do more than 'just another job.'

> >BTW, you can excel at your job without competing - even in
America. But
> >unless someone hands you a job (perhaps that's what happens in
the EU) you
> >must, of necessity, compete against other candidates for the
position.

> Well, it is not as if you just get a job reached out. :)
>
> One still must show his or her worth during a job interview, if
you mess
> that up for some reason, you still don't get the job.

Without some evidence of postive attitude in America, you would
never get invited to an interview.

> >It's not gladiatorial, but it is competition. Once you're in a
job, you
> >adapt, learn, cooperate, get the job done.
>
> Well, yes, I assume any person with a common sense would do. Of
course,
> there is a still a group of einzelgängers [lone wolves] who like
to show how
> great they just are. Those are everywhere.

Yes, I hire those people and teach them to hunt in packs.

> Personally I just prefer to learn from those around me and have
a good time.

> --
> Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / asmodai / Kita no Mono

There is room for those people also. I find that the scarcest
quality in employees is
ambition, the kind of ambition that says 'I want to be more
useful, so I can create more value and
earn more money.'

I have one employee who has worked for me 15 of the last 18 years.
She is very good at sales,
but she has never accepted the position of salesperson, only sales
associate. She is afraid of
looking stupid or uninformed on a technical detail on the phone.
This has cost her something
like a quarter million dollars in those fifteen years. We have
trained her and continually offer her further
training, and she has access to technical support.

Oh well.

Brad Jensen
www.eufrates.com
You can do elearning with the skills you have now.