web-based Help systems and ad blockers

Subject: web-based Help systems and ad blockers
From: "Chuck Martin" <twriter -at- sonic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:57:50 -0700

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered the issue of ad blockers when
creating Help for a web site or a web application, Help that appears in
separate windows rather than the calling page. One of the big annoyances on
today's web are pop-up and pop-under ad windows, and in response to this, a
number of products are available that purport to make these pop-ups and
pop-unders not appear. (I use Norton Internet Security at home myself, which
claims to do this, and it does, sometimes.)

But I'm going to be developing a new Help system for one web site and
(hopefully) some field-level Help for another web application. It is highly
likely that we'll be using JavaScripting to create separate windows for each
type of Help. I've already expressed my concern about what ad blockers would
do to this, but we haven't done testing yet. (Our web application also
occasionally creates separate pop-up windows for error messages.) I'm
wondering if anyone has created any web-based Help that creates a separate
window (or any type and size) to display its content, and if you've
encountered users having problems viewing that Help because of ad-blocking
software that they've installed.

Thanks!

"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled
carpenters don't get insulted when told they are not architects,
but highly skilled programmers do get insulted when told
they are not UI designers."
- anonymous programmer quoted in "GUI Bloopers"

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l