Re:RE: Another Grammar Question

Subject: Re:RE: Another Grammar Question
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:36:40 -0400

Uh-oh, I'm about to do some meta-nitpicking. :)

> The verb is "are included" ("are" being a form of the infinitive
> verb "to be"). By placing "only" between the words "are" and
> "included," you've split your infinitive! While this is nit-picky . . . .

While "are" is a form of "to be," the sentence in question doesn't have a split
infinitive. The usage "[is|are] [adverb] [verb used as predicate adjective]" is
common and correct. (There's got to be a technical term for that "included"
thing, but the bit in brackets there is the best I can come up with right now.
Anybody?)

Examples: "Sentences like this are occasionally questioned." "That idea is
universally admired." "Further examples are probably unneeded."

All passive voice -- ick. I like Andy's rewrite ("This form includes only...").

Sidestepping the issue of whether split infinitives are really a big deal
anyhow,
Christine

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l