RE: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute... (a few replies)

Subject: RE: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute... (a few replies)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:28:30 -0500

>Really? Then let me be the first. If the least expensive resources means
>that highly skilled people who have invested in the company (time,
>money, hope, whatever) are displaced by less skilled people just because
>they are cheaper and the company wants to pad their bottom line, then
>that is not only *wrong* but *evil.*

Two points:

1) It has yet to be determined that the techwriters in question are less
skilled. Cheaper for equivalent skill is smart business, not greed.

2) Even were it true, there's a long-standing economic principle called
"satisficing." It's been heard of most recently in web usability studies,
but it stems from the principle that customers do *not* want the absolute
highest quality, but rather they want the cheapest product above a certain
minimum quality. This means that even if person A's skills are lesser than
person B's, person A might still be the best choice, because he is cheaper
and still possesses enough skills to pass the minimum standard.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l