STORY: Goober's Best Conversation of the Day

Subject: STORY: Goober's Best Conversation of the Day
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:22:57 -0700 (PDT)

Goober grumbled his way in to work, pouted past the
break room, and crumpled onto the floor (because
someone yet again stole his desk chair).

In an effort to cheer himself up on the dreary
morning, he reflected that he should be happy he was
at work - and at any job, due to the current technical
writing market. Then he though of how much he could
make as a rural route sanitation worker, how he'd only
have to work a few hours in the early morning every
day, and how after a good shower and a nap he'd have
the whole day ahead of him to do what he wanted.

Goober became a very bitter little leprechaun very
quickly this day.

He pretended to work on his present manual and opened
up his old friend SnagIt to have the usual therapeutic
morning conversation with a flickering image in a box.
Goober looked hard at the icon, taking in its
familiar visage.

(Note to editor: I'm trying out some bigger words...
Do I sound handsome yet? I hope so, cuz' this tech
writing gig ain't getting me the babes I thought it
would.)

Dreamily, he browsed through the menus as he had a
million times before, fondling the myriad of input
options with his pointer, including a region, the
entire screen, an object, a menu... His office mates
marveled that he could sit there all morning, every
morning, and do this yet still have a job at the end
of every working day.

Goober moved close to the screen and began making
kissy-bear faces, listing aloud the reasons he
appreciated the program. He finished by saying,
"Thanks for getting me though yet another morning
without killing anyone. I don't know what I'd do
without you! Now if only I knew what the hell I should
be using you for!!!"

Sufficiently cheered (and quietly jeered), he made his
way back to the coffee room for some morning chit-chat
- even though he knew he'd already had the best
conversation of the day. After all, who wants to talk
to a goober who talks to his computer applications?!?

http://health.yahoo.com