Addendum to Cry for Help: Bookmarks Bypassed in Word-to-PDF conversion

Subject: Addendum to Cry for Help: Bookmarks Bypassed in Word-to-PDF conversion
From: "Lakshmi Gopal" <lakshmi_gopal -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:43:29 +0530

Hi everybody,

I faced a similar problem with converting a Word document (200 + pages with cross-references) into pdf. It took a really long time, all night and still didn't create the pdf. I thought maybe there was a problem with the system memory. (I was able to successfully convert documents that were 50-60 pages within half an hour on my machine.) I use PDFMaker 5.0 for the conversions. I have set Printer Properties > Advanced > Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster. Still no luck.

So I split my 200+ -page document into 4 smaller documents, and converted them into pdf. Then combined them into one pdf file using the Insert Pages option in Acrobat.

The Problem: I have a Word-generated TOC in my Word document. When I split the document into 4 diffrent documents, the TOC in Word (which is now in one of the smaller documents) no longer holds good. It displays "Error! Bookmark not defined" in the TOC.

So can I generate a TOC in Acrobat somehow? So that I can just do away with the Word-generated one.

I really appreciate any help on this one.

TIA,
Lakshmi.

::: It takes forever (hours, we're talking) to go through the
::: process -- I'm
::: assuming due to the many cross-references.

Printer Properties > Advanced > Spool print documents so program
finishes printing faster

::: If I have another Word document open and minimized during
::: the conversion, I
::: can't restore it. If I have another Word document open in
::: the background,
::: the conversion is somehow hijacked from the
::: document-in-process to other
::: one, and I wind up with a PDF of a completely different
::: document than I had
::: started with. God forbid I should try to open another Word
::: document during
::: the conversion -- Word crashes completely with a fatal error.

You shouldn't try launching applications and such when printing to a
virtual driver. Your computer is doing all the work... Sending,
spooling, printing, etc... Wait until it's done. Use the time wisely -
plan a coffee break or something if it takes a very long time.

::: Then, when the conversion is complete, I check the
::: PDF...and find that
::: bookmarks in the navigation pane are missing: Heading 3's
::: that should be
::: followed by multiple Heading 4's, aren't. This isn't
::: consistent, also --
::: there are Heading 3's whose subheads did carry over into
::: the PDF bookmarks.
::: I've checked the styles in Word; all's well there and in
::: the Word TOC.
::: Technically, as far as I can see, the Word document is
::: error-free and
::: functional; its only unusual point is its size.

What kind of processor/RAM/HD space are you working with?

::: A friendly Techwhirler contacted me after my initial
::: request for Acrobat
::: lists (thank you!) and suggested that I try the Print
::: option using the
::: Distiller driver...this wiped out my bookmarks completely from the
::: Navigation pane.

Yes, Word seems to like PDFWriter.

::: I tried re-applying the Heading 4 style to every instance
::: (405!) in the
::: document; this corrected the problem, and when I went back
::: to correct a
::: pagination error in that version of the Word TOC, and
::: re-converted to PDF, I
::: lost the same bookmarks again.
:::
::: Can anyone offer any hints as to what I can do to ensure a complete
::: conversion of this doc, and what is causing all the
::: intra-Word document
::: conflicts during the conversion?

Well, if the problem is size-related, you may want to break up the Word
file into several smaller documents, create PDFs, and then use Acrobat
to merge the PDFs.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine