Re: Bombs in the Workplace

Subject: Re: Bombs in the Workplace
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:49:46 -0400

On Thursday 08 August 2002 10:23, Kathy Mizell wrote:
> I would not mention the name of the company in the item
> you are writing. Unfortunately, their attitude shows up
> elsewhere. My company used to lease the 8th floor of a
> 18 story building. When leaving for lunch one day,
> several of us encountered police and fire personnel.
> Since there had not been any type of alarm, we asked what
> was going on. We were informed that that a bomb had been
> discovered in the basement of the building. Building
> management decided that an evacuation would be disruptive
> so nothing was said.

I think there are two issues here. One is to avoid grief by
explicitly naming the company that displayed the unfortunate
attitude. The other is to convey the illustrative
anecdote/case-study in your document with sufficient weight
and convincing detail that it is believed... and not
dismissed as a fairy-tail, designed to bolster the
document.

So, why not refer to "Corporation 'XYZ' at their widget
plant in southwest Scarborough"? And give the date. And
maybe identify the relevant police precinct.

The 'XYZ Corp' is a standard non-identifier -- be sure to
check the Yellow Pages for any company actually called
"XYZ" in your town -- used to avoid lawsuits and other
reprisals.
I don't think you can catch flack for giving indirect
evidence that people CAN follow if they wish to
investigate/validate for themselves. Public record is
public record. Hey, if there was a newspaper story on the
event, you could name the paper and give the date, section
and page number... Nothing actionable there, either.

--
** DIR-ty DEEDS, and they're DONE dirt cheap. (Sing it,
now...)

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com