Book Recommendation? technical illustrations and screenshots

Subject: Book Recommendation? technical illustrations and screenshots
From: "Craig Branham" <ccbranham -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:17:58 -0700

Hello.

Does anyone have a favorite book of tips/guidelines for creating effective screenshots and technical illustrations for software documentation and training?

An ideal book, for my purposes, would be for technical communicators specifically. It would address mostly stylistic issues (when and how to use an illustration to support text content, how to convey the most information with a screenshot, how to compose a viewlet, when to use icons, how to use color), contain many samples, and discuss only the key technical issues without slavishly covering everything.

Does such an animal exist? All recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Craig Branham

Course Developer
Rational Software