XML to PDF via our Web Service

Subject: XML to PDF via our Web Service
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:45:54 +0100

Hi,
I thought the more technically-inclined TECHWR-L members might be
interested in a new experimental Web service we've just
released. Called FOPService, its a Web service implementation of the FOP
project at Apache. Basically, it enabled you to convert an XML file (in
XSL-FO format) into a PDF file (also supported are PostScript, TXT and a
few others). Now, if you look at XSL-FO file, you'll see that it's a
non-trivial task to author in this particular format, so we're not
really going to set the world on fire. Nonetheless, we thought it was a
pretty cool idea.

See below for the complete description, or go to
http://www.capescience.com/webservices/fop/index.shtml for more details.
There's a Web interface to the service at
http://live.capescience.com/FOPService/index.html.

<More Technical Blurb>

The FOP service is a Web service implementation of the Apache FOP
project (http://xml.apache.org/fop/), which "is the world's first print
formatter driven by XSL formatting objects and the world's first output
independent formatter." The Web service has one operation, which takes
two parameters: a formatting object tree (coded in an XML file) and the
output format that you would like to render this tree into. The
formatted output is then returned to the client. Both the input
formatting object tree file and the return file are handled as MIME
attachments. The kinds of output formats that the FOP project (and
therefore our Web service) can handle are still in development, but the
best supported formats are PDF, PCL, and PostScript.

</More Technical Blurb>

Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Technology Evangelist
CapeScience - Cape Clear's Developer Support Network
http://www.capescience.com

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com