Re: University degree

Subject: Re: University degree
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 05:01:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Beena V Katekar <Beena -dot- Katekar -at- kshema -dot- com> wrote:

> if a Technical writer with 3 + years of experience wants a break thorugh in
> US technical writing field.
> is it essential to have a MAsters degree(any degree) in Technical writing?

And the classic TECHWR-L answer is, "It depends."

*I* would say no. I would say you need to get your qualifications in front of people
who are hiring. Then you need to convince the ones who bring you in for an interview
that you can do the job. If you've been in the field for 3+ years, you should have
enough experience to lay out a good resume/T-Letter <g> to get you in the door for
interviews. In the interview, you need to be open, honest, and sincere, project a
positive attitude, ask good questions and generally create the impression that you
can do the work and get along with the people who work there.

Having a Masters degree or any degree in Technical Writing would not impress ME as
much as the combination of a good track record and the right personality to work in
my environment. In the absence of a good track record--for those who want to know
how to 'break into' TW--degrees help establish some sort of record that may help.

Of course, people do need to be hiring at all. (It's always something, as Roseanne
Rosannadanna used to say.)

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 08/30/02
--I gotta admire people with moral clarity. Of course, they caused almost all of the problems in the world. Still, it must be nice to see everything as black or white.--

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com