Re: Funny technical writing--risky?

Subject: Re: Funny technical writing--risky?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:34:02 -0400

"Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> wrote, without irony:

[big snip of valid points]

>Given these problems, humor is a technique best avoided if it doesn't
>accomplish something you can't accomplish in any other way. If badly done,
>the humor may fail to communicate, and after all, isn't that our primary
>goal? That's not to say you should never use humor, but before trying to do
>so, be very aware of the risks and take measures to reduce or eliminate
>them.

Well, I dunno. I've certainly had the experience of saying things on this list that I intended to be humorous but that gave offense to individuals--and other things that just plain didn't work; so I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, Geoff.

On the other hand, I see a tendency toward saying that humor should only be used in comedy clubs, books shelved in the humor section at Barnes & Noble, and plays and movies labeled as comedies in their advertising; that otherwise humor is too risky, too out-of-place.

This reminds me of the argument that arises periodically in the art world. Does art belong in museums? Or should it be in the world around us?

I'm on the side of living an integrated life rather than compartmentalized life. Humor is part of the human condition and it can be appropriate in strange places--just as art can. I've seen people use humor during funeral services to great effect. I've seen humor used effectively in technical writing. Yes, it is safer to avoid humor; but is safety the superordinate goal we should all cleave to? I think not, and I'd hate to see us all become so timid that we do nothing all day long but stand around murmuring, "Don't make waves."*

Dick

* Allusion to a shaggy dog story 90 percent of you have heard, so I'm not repeating it here--if you haven't heard it, look it up

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com