Re: Co-Author Help!

Subject: Re: Co-Author Help!
From: Allen Schaaf <soundbyte -at- sound-by-design -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:03:17 -0700

At 01:37 PM 9/19/02, Sgalvan2 -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

I completed this great maket/proposal and sent it to a publisher. He said yes. Great! Then I contact the company that makes the software to ask for some reviews and one of their head marketing people flew to my home town.
They offered to pay expenses and extra training if he could write a couple chapters. He said he didn't want any money.

Just to have the company added to the book contract.
So I did.

Well, now he will not finish the chapters and his communication is terrible. It has been three years.

So, I wrote the whole book, but the publisher will not publish it until he does his share.

Any suggestions on how to get this person to even listen? Is there anyone that knows some good legal actions?

Call the National Writers Union and ask about contract dispute help. Often even a letter from them will resolve the issue.

Then join as they have lots of info on this kind of stuff and lots of people who have been there, done that and remember the pain.

Allen Schaaf
Sr. Tech Writer
Currently looking for work.

Who says bad manuals aren't a risk to your life? Just ask the passengers of the jet where the engine caught fire because the company's maintenance manual was wrong about how to install one key bolt. (NTSB Report on GE CF6 engine fire, American Airlines flight 574, July 9, 1998. <http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1999/AAB9903.htm>)

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com