Re: MCSE certification

Subject: Re: MCSE certification
From: JayWright <jaywright -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 06:29:20 -0400

Andrew - Thanks for comments and suggestions regarding STC and getting
started.

> "John Posada" wrote...
>
> > I'm looking for feedback from any technical writers who either have
their
> > MCSE cert or have worked ones who have...like to know if it made a
> > difference...am considering going for it.

John - I don't have experience using an MCSE as a tech writer, but for what
it's worth...

I have an MCSE certification in NT 4.0 as well. I've found it very useful
for my career supporting servers and networks. I studied the Windows 2000
material as well without pursuing the certification. There is a ton of
information to learn for the Windows 2000 MCSE. I strongly believe that if
you get certified in Windows 2000 as an MCSE, you will likely open the door
to more opportunities. If not writing opportunities, then computer jobs.

I've been working in the computer networking field for about 5 or 6 years.
It's been my experience that those with the certifications are looked to
first when the need arises. Even if you don't have the experience, it will
give you an edge when people look at your credentials. For awhile, the MCSE
had started to lose its appeal to employers because of the vast number of
people that pursued MCSE certification in NT 4.0. Now that the tests and
material are more challenging, I think respect is once again gaining
momentum for the 2000 MCSE certification.

If you need specific advice on books and/or test taking for that cert, let
me know. I've spent thousands getting industry certifications. Up to this
point, it's always paid me back.

Jay Welter

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com