Re: HOTTEST TOOLS MAN!

Subject: Re: HOTTEST TOOLS MAN!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:42:53 -0700

JB Foster wrote:

If you're thinking of installing OpenOffice on Win 2000, watch out! If
OpenOffice becomes corrupt, it may be difficult to remove.

I think it's truer to say that Win2000 has trouble removing a corrupted program.

I'd speculate that your installation failed before it had written to the registry, which is one of the last operations in the install. I'm not exactly a Windows fan (to say the least), but even WIndows can't be blamed for not doing the impossible.

For me, it crashed just before completing installation; and wouldn't let me
load over the faulty install. Even worse - it's designed so that Window's
'Add\remove Programs' can't remove the existing OpenOffice.

I just tried using Add\remove programs to delete OpenOffice.org on Win 98 and 2000. I had no problems whatsoever, which tends to confirm my speculation.

I.M.H.O., not
one of the brightest designs for a program. Since I don't have time to play
with it, I'll remove OpenOffice manually and stay with MS Office for the
moment.

If you run the setup program for OpenOffice, you have the option to modify, repair, or remove an existing installation. Did you try any of these?

Just thought I'd inform everyone on the list, of my experience (misfortune)
with 'OpenOffice'. Guess that's what you get with 'free' products.

I just did a search in the OpenOffice.org issue tracking system for problems with Windows 2000. Your problem is not listed, which suggests that it's not a common experience.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I have to wonder why you dismiss OpenOffice in particular and free software in general on the basis of such a superficial exposure. Not only are you quick to condemn the software for what sounds like an unavoidable shortcoming of the operating system, but you don't seem to have made use of the resources available to you before condemning the software. Moreover, even if you had, extrapolating from a single instance to all free software is a lapse of logic. The wish to vent your frustration is understandable, but, under the circumstances, you do no one any favor by doing so.

I certainly don't claim that OpenOffice.org is perfect. I've reported and discussed problems with the software myself, and mentioned them in the reviews I've done (3 and counting ,if you include one of StarOffice, which is largely the same code). But criticize it for its own shortcomings - not those in your operating system or your experimentation.

In general, I agree with Kevin: OO.o falls somewhere ahead of MS Word and behind FrameMaker.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com