Re: CMYK or RGB? Macintosh or Windows? How's a poor guy toupgrade?

Subject: Re: CMYK or RGB? Macintosh or Windows? How's a poor guy toupgrade?
From: CHEEK1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:01:23 -0500

Considering that budget is an issue, perhaps he can
start out with a PC to learn the software. The
software will be by far the largest expense. The
important point is that he be able to learn the
software and learn image processing. I'd emphasize
getting as good a monitor as possible. I think that is
actually more important than platform. In fact it
might be a good idea for him to become OS-
ambidextrous. That way he will be prepared for
whatever his future employers/clients have.

One point, I have noticed that packages like
Illustrator and PhotoShop like a little more memory on
a PC than on a Mac. I had great luck with PhotoShop on
a Mac that had 300-some-odd MB of memory, and had
identical performance on a PC that had 512 MB (note
these were employer-owned machines--my home machine is
nowhere near as good).

> As for the territorial posturing suggested by
> your "mac snobs" comment I'd have to suggest that
> you lighten up a bit... it's just an operating
> system.

To the true Mac faithful, them's fightin' words!

Truly, in Silicon Valley, it's never "just an
operating system." I've actually seen people come to
blows over the relative merits of Irix vs. HPUX.

It's not a platform, it's a way of life :-)

Regards,

Kevin Cheek

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com