RE: prohibit printing

Subject: RE: prohibit printing
From: Greg Holmes <holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:46:53 -0500

John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

>See the following link. If you try printing the page, the PDF does not
>print. Now, if the maximum security for the PDF was applied, which would
>disable all the buttons and commands, what could you do with it?

The thing about "locking" a PDF against printing is, all that means is
a byte or two in the file (Adobe has a spec if you are really interested)
are set to mean "application, please don't print me". Now Acrobat and
Reader, of course, respect this flag. I think GhostScript, GhostView,
and GSView *may* do so, but as source is available for those apps, it
wouldn't be hard to disable that feature.

And before anyone says "how many users can do that?!", it doesn't have to
be *your* user; he might just Google for "print locked PDF". As long as
someone in the world has tweaked the source and published binaries, it
ceases to be a very technical task.

Greg Holmes

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com