Gender roles - was coolest thing

Subject: Gender roles - was coolest thing
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:24:56 -0000

Gender is something that is deeply ingrained (no matter what we think). A program here in the UK has been following a group of children (from various social/economic etc backgrounds) from birth onward. One experiment they did when they were quite young was to ask the parents to watch another child for a short time in a waiting room with toys. These children were 'cross-dressed' - boys as girls and girls as boys (couldn't tell the difference at that age) and all but one of the parents tried to direct the children towards appropriate gender toys - 'girls' with dolls etc, 'boys' with trains etc. Only one let the child choose and thought nothing of it when the 'boy' chose a doll. All were shocked when their behaviour was pointed out to them - totally unconscious.

As we grow older we can make judgements on ability etc instead of gender but I'm not at all surprised that it's still there and exists in the workplace.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.
50/51 Malone Road