Re: small invoices, big egos

Subject: Re: small invoices, big egos
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:08:34 -0800

Gilger.John wrote:

You might want to start a Black List. I wouldn't want to be bothered with dealing with a person/company like this again.

If you mean that I should pass the client's name along to other people, doing that publicly could be unwise.

However, there's no danger that I would ever work again for a client who acts in the way I describe, even if I received an apology and double payment. Nor, somehow, do I think that the client would want to deal with me again ;->

Fortunately, those who act this way are less than eight percent of my career long client list. But the situation reminds me of when I worked in a store: I could have 20 pleasant customers, but the one that affected my mood for the day was the nasty one. Not very deep down in me is a naive kid who believes that if he treats other people properly, then they'll treat him properly in return. Despite everything, cynicism doesn't run very deeply in me.

As an aside to my original message, once or twice, I've had money owed by clients who said that they couldn't afford to pay me on time. Naturally, I wasn't pleased, and wondered what they were spending their money on instead of settling their debts, but I appreciated the honesty, and we worked something out. And eventually, I did get paid.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts."
- Vladmir Nabokov, interview, 1966

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com