RE: Question re: Quark Express, Adobe Page Maker & Importing Word Docs

Subject: RE: Question re: Quark Express, Adobe Page Maker & Importing Word Docs
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:12:24 -0700

Hi Sara,

Depends on which version of QE, or PM, and (of course) MS Word, that you're
using. The older version DTP's have problems with (or won't accept) Word's
.doc files, so it's better in that case to save text as .rtf files.

PageMaker 7 will take Word (.doc) documents, and (supposedly) so will Quark
5. I've switched over to Ventura 10, and have had no problems importing word
2000 and 2002 documents. So I'd imagine the current versions of QE and PM
will handle them just as easily.

When I used PageMaker, I saved everything in .rtf - not a bad habit to get
into, since there has been past 'formatting' problems associated with
importing .doc files into anything, except Microsoft products. And yes ...
there is nothing you can do, if a .doc file gets messed up, while being
imported into one of the DTPs. That's why lots of DTP users still insist on
.rtf, or .txt files. Because you never know what a Word .doc file will do.

I do agree with Peter, PageMaker is not high-end. If you're looking for new
software to create books, or manuals, then try FrameMaker or Ventura. Quark,
and InDesign, are both aimed at tabloids, and advertising. Though InDesign
is apparently becoming better at large document handling.

Regards,

Bruce

Sara-Sue wrote:

> I'd like some imput from the experienced Quark Express and/or Adobe
> PageMaker users on the list please.
>
> I have this idea (and feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken) that you
> can import Word Documents into Quark Express but it's best if they're only
> plain text. It's been several years since I've used Quark. I seem to
> recall that if Word documents are formatted and then imported that Quark
> can't deal with it. Is this correct? And that the best/easiest way to do
> it is to import the doc as plain text and format it in the higher end
> publishing program eg. Quark or PageMaker. I'm actually not even sure
> whether Word docs can be imported into PageMaker.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com