RE: setup/set-up

Subject: RE: setup/set-up
From: "Hadley, Tim" <tim -dot- hadley -at- ttu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:20:36 -0600

Deena,

The usual procedure on such matters is to check a reliable dictionary to see
how they spell the word. In this case, I found "setup" (no hyphen). This is
consistent with the tendency, in recent years, to avoid hyphens (and other
punctuation) unless absolutely necessary for clear meaning, and to spell
such constructions as one word instead of 2--that is, when the noun form is
being used. The verb still requires (most of the time) a 2-word
construction: "set up." E.g., "We decided to set up the setup."

Good luck,

Tim Hadley
Texas Tech University

* * *
I have noticed that setup/set-up (used as a noun) is often spelled in
these two different ways.
My colleagues and I are unsure as to which is the correct spelling and
thus which one to use in our documentation.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com