Re: Calling All Cooks & Design Gurus

Subject: Re: Calling All Cooks & Design Gurus
From: "Deb M." <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:57:44 -0500

At 08:40 AM 2/11/2003 -0600, Ruth Lundquist wrote:

>Many cookbooks list all ingredients, followed by instructions in paragraph
>form. This is often not the optimal way to design/display the info. I'm
>looking for better examples of well designed recipes.

In my personal cookbook, I list the ingredients and quantities in a
borderless table in bold as they occur in the recipe process. This saves me
the trouble of having to list them twice yet they stand out sufficiently
that I'm able to gather my ingredients first. The instructions are in
numbered list form.

To see what I'm talking about, check out:
http://www.debsites.com/recipes/

Bear in mind that this is my personal cookbook which I posted because I
often get asked for recipes and it's easier for me to say, Go to my Web
site. The primary design requirement was that it had to be easy for me.

The source files are FrameMaker, the template is my own, the HTML is pumped
out by WebWorks (that template is almost out of the can). I periodically
print the hardcopy from FM and replace the entire contents of the
"bookshelf" version. It takes only a few minutes to add or update a recipe.

That being said, there are some "known issues"
- The index isn't terribly comprehensive.
- Only a few items have pictures.
- I've recently developed an interest in nutrition and no Nutrition Facts
are listed in my recipes.
- Some family members haven't shared their recipes.

So, if there's anything useful in there Ruth, feel free to borrow it.

Cheers,
Debbie

The Paper Trail
Technical Documentation