Re: TOOLS: quiet keyboard

Subject: Re: TOOLS: quiet keyboard
From: Peter Harkins <ph-tw -at- malaprop -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:02:19 -0800

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:43:47PM -0500, Kevin McLauchlan wrote:
> Anyway, I don't care much about the "useful additional keys",
> unless they're easily mappable in Linux.

I use Linux exclusively and I wouldn't have a keyboard without them.
Being able to map them to useful functions... whew, do I get a lot more
productive in a hurry. I use them to start applications, close windows, move
windows around, switch windows, run scripts. Each use is only worth a few
tenths of a second to a few seconds, but I find they add up real fast -- as
soon as I think of sending an e-mail (or reading an e-mail my desktop
indicator shows me just arrived) I'm perhaps 3 keystrokes away from doing
so. I don't have to stop and think about it or take my hands off the
keyboard. It isn't really driven home to me how useful until I'm around
people using Windows and I'm tapping my foot watching them navigate the
Start Menu and such.

As for current hardware, I'm using a keyboard I got with a junky
eMachines OEM computer. I'm frankly surprised it's stood up to such a
pounding over the years. I also need quiet keyboards, otherwise I find
myself getting distracted listening to the noise, for patternts, etc. :)

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com