Re: Ethics, ownership of product, and suchlike

Subject: Re: Ethics, ownership of product, and suchlike
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:07:22 -0800

As far as I'm concerned, Bonnie, you're right on the money!
That said, most folk don't have a clue about copyright and
intellectual property laws and I've heard a lot of writers
say they can do anything as long as they have a model to
copy.

While it's not unusual to look at competitor's stuff to see
what they're up to and get some ideas, it's another thing
to pull up their copy and globally replace the company name!
<g> I'd be careful on this one.

-Sue Gallagher

At 12:45 PM 2/19/2003 -0500, Bonnie Granat wrote:

The following sentence appeared in an e-mail that a prospective client sent
me:

What we are really looking for is someone that may have already
put together a brochure for another company and we want to use this as a
template so as too save time and money.

I responded that using a brochure created for another company is "usually not
done by professional writers." Am I mistaken about this?

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com