RE: Slightly off-topic but, I hope, not unwelcome

Subject: RE: Slightly off-topic but, I hope, not unwelcome
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:42:08 -0600

For the last couple of years, I've had the good fortune to pass a number of
my contract projects past a freelance editor. We sit down and talk about
the material, audience, style, language, conventions used in the document,
etc., anything that might make a difference in the review. The edits are
on-target, comments inserted about possible questionable items, and the
turnaround excellent. Since I have a wide variety of contract clients, and
no single stile for any of these projects, I've greatly appreciated having
access to a truly professional editor.

In most of my FT positions, writing and editing are all done by the writing
team, cross-editing each other's work, regardless of whether the project is
being written by a lone writer or a team of writers. This method has helped
to maintain a reasonably consistent voice for the material coming out of the
department. It also helps everyone in the group keep any proprietary
notions about project "ownership" in check.

On the downside, I once worked with an editor who felt the need to re-write
nearly every word (I think they must have gotten a discount on red pens
bought in bulk..!). Most of the comments were purely stylistic, and many
contradicted the conventions that had been adopted for the project. This
was not an editor I hired for future projects.