RE: Re: Permatemping

Subject: RE: Re: Permatemping
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 22 Apr 2003 13:58:44 PDT

My recollection of the situation is somewhat different.
Andrew is correct in that W2 "permatemping" used to
be a pretty good deal for professionals, but what killed
it was when employers started trying to extend the long-
term temping arrangements to nonexempt workers, which
resulted in many temp secretaries, file clerks, custodial
staff, etc., making *less* per hour than their direct-hire
equivalents after the jobshops took their cuts and getting
no benefits on top of that, and *those* are the people who
filed the complaints. Here in CA the result was that
laws were passed requiring companies who had temps working
alongside direct-hires to provide the temps with the same
benefits after one year, and *that's* why temps get cut
before they pass the one-year mark. Professional temps
lost out because the law makes no provision for people
who would be willing to live without the bennies because
they can command high enough rates to compensate. However,
for those who work 1099 and can meet all the tests, there
are still no limits on terms. I have people I've been
doing business with both as a consultant and as a client
for years, because we always work together per-project and
don't attempt to control each other's work the way we
would W2 workers.

Gene Kim-Eng