I had hoped to get more of a response - Re: Managing versions of documents - problems and concerns

Subject: I had hoped to get more of a response - Re: Managing versions of documents - problems and concerns
From: "Svi Ben Elya" <svib -at- bezeqint -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:08:51 +0200

I had hoped to get more of a response. Maybe my request was not clear. I am
not looking for single-sourcing techniques or information on how to manage
version of software.

What I need is information on how you keep track of what changes were made
to documents, when and why. What drawbacks are there to the method used?
What you would like to keep track of if you could find a practical way to do
it? ...

Your feedback will be used as part of an overview of what issues are
involved in managing changes made to documents. If it will help, please read
the list of issues that I have compiled so far.

Issue 1: Keeping track of which changes were made after the version of a
document held by a specific customer. How can Technical Support quickly
identify whether corrections were already included in the document or were
added later?

Issue 2: When more than one person works on a document, how does each writer
know what changes have already been made?

Issue 3: Who made and who authorized a specific change? This can save
valuable time when problems occur and more information is needed on the
change and which customer's it affects.

Issue 4: When single-sourcing is used, changes and information related to a
specific document or version of the document.

Issue 5: Document rollbacks. How can I rollback to an old version of a
document when customers have problems with the newer documentation or the
product is rolled back? How do I identify what changes made to the document
are relevant to the older version of the product.

Issue 6: Version Management software commonly used by R&D does not always
identify changes made to documents.

Issue 7: When using a check-out/check-in system and different people work on
different chapters (FM files), how do you check for changes to an entire
book without checking-out all files, thus preventing writers form working on
the files.