Dreamweaver and RoboHelp

Subject: Dreamweaver and RoboHelp
From: "ROGERS, MARTHA (CONTRACTOR)" <MARTHA -dot- ROGERS -at- DFAS -dot- MIL>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:26:06 -0500

After several false starts, I'm again preparing to prototype my first HTML-based help for a Web-based application. I've been re-researching tools and formats and am reaching the point of information overload (again).

When I started using RoboHelp for WinHelp files oh so long ago, I was used to working HAT-less with the RTFs and help compiler (uphill, in the snow). I liked understanding the mechanics of what I was creating. After the move to HTML, I'd still like to understand what the heck I'm doing. My instincts tell me if I use RH for WebHelp, I may never grasp what the tool is doing and why. I've been learning HTML basics as time permits and am now delving into CSSs. I've looked at the code RH generates for WebHelp and newbie that I am, it seems a bit convoluted to me. I remember reading that the purists among us don't appreciate the RH code bloat.

The HTML help must be 508-compliant and compatible with IE and Netscape but Active X controls are verboten. If I stick with RH, the output would be WebHelp. My other option is Dreamweaver. I should have a copy soon and will be quite happy to learn a new tool.

My questions, and yes, I do have some, are these: An eHelp Web site survey shows that almost 11 percent of respondents edited their topics in RoboHelp using DW. I don't understand that statistic. Why are they using RH if they've got DW? Or why use DW if you've got RH? From searching Techwrl, I've seen recommendations for Deva Tools or HTML-Indexer to create an index. Is it not possible to generate an index in Dreamweaver? I suspect trying to order and download Deva Tools from the Web (which is the only purchase option available, according to their Web site) isn't going to fly around here. Is editing in DW and generating an index in RH a viable option? Hmm, maybe that's why those folks are using both software tools. Recommendations and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for reading.
Martha