RE: The Results (Long)

Subject: RE: The Results (Long)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:09:01 -0400

"Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com> wrote on 08/19/2003 10:24:40 AM:
> One thing I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet -
> you obviously
> had some very strong impressions of them from their
> interviews. Do the
> upstanding thing and let them know why they were not
> hired.

The only thing I'd like employers to do that would qualify as the
'upstanding thing' would be to inform the prospects as soon as possible
about their standing. If the employer knows immediately after the
interview that the prospect is a bad fit, at least put them on a list to
be called later that day if the employer does not have the courage to say
so face-to-face. If it's a first round type thing and there would be too
much work involved calling everyone clearly tell the prospect the deadline
date for a decision on who advances to the next round.

I don't really see why an employer should coach a prospect along. If
they're willing to do the coaching, they should be willing to accept the
prospect as-is if the prospect agrees to improve/change or accept the
conditions/expectations of the position. I mean, if the only reason you
don't like a candidate is they dress in shorts and sandals tell them. If
they agree to come to work in a suit and tie, you've filled your position.
Otherwise, the employer is just costing themselves valuable time and
possibly doing a disservice to the next employer that interviews the
prospect. In other words, they might just disguise the negatives for the

The employer's job is to fill the position not help the prospect find
work. Let the prospect pay a consultant or use a recruiter to help them
find work. Unless of course the employer has time to kill or the prospect
asks why they weren't considered and offers to buy lunch. :)

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer