Re: The Results (Long)/Addendum

Subject: Re: The Results (Long)/Addendum
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:22:15 -0500

I agree with this. My husband is a programmer, and when we started dating he didn't own a tie (!) or a suit (!) and he went to interviews in jeans. He was criticized all the time by recruiters but he didn't care b/c he's really smart and arrogant and naive enough to have thought that his brains would be the thing that would sway the interview, which it wasn't. But I do love a good project!

I have been considering offering etiquette classes. My friends tell me that since Minnesota has an organization where people have a Deb ball that they won't be needed, but I think they would be for the common masses whose children will not be going to a coming out party.

Yesterday, in a doctor's office waiting for my daughter, I witnessed a 16 year old boy behaving horribly. He was snorting snot back into his nose instead of getting a tissue (ew!) and then randomly calling girls on his cell phone, talking really loud in this quiet office and hassling these girls. Then his parents came out of the doctor's office and the father was talking to the boy and he ignored his father and kept talking to the girl on his cell phone. I was horrified. This is the kind of kid that will not shake hands when he leaves an interview in five years. And you know what they say about manners, "manners are in place to make everyone feel comfortable."

Miss Manners

Michele

"I've learned that sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand." Andy Rooney
www.krautgrrl.com

Bruce Byfield wrote:

It's called common courtesy. In fact, the interviewer was showing a lack of respect, just as I would be if I showed up dirty and in casual clothes.
An interview is no different from going to a wedding or a funeral, really. When I go to an interview, I'm taking up somebody's time (to say nothing of making a good impression). The interviewer is taking up my time (and, if I seem a likely candidate, trying to convince me to sign). As a sign of respect to each other, we both should be reasonably dressed.