projects available are getting shorter and shorter

Subject: projects available are getting shorter and shorter
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:06:13 -0400

"Anyway...is the reason for this that people looking for writers don't know
what's involved or is it because they figure that with so many writers out
of work, they'll take on even the most difficult assignments?"

HI John,

I am sure it is actually both. Employers today are ignorant in knowing how
much time it takes to have a guide finalized and have no idea how you get
the content , they just want it done by that date, which most of the time is
unrealistic. So, literally they dont know what's involved.

And two, they know many writers are out of work so they think anyone would
jump at the opportunity whether it is a difficult task or not. They think
writers are desperate and low paid. Trust me, I ve worked with people who
have no clue what a " technical writer" actually does when they are the ones
hiring you.

It reminds me of an interview I had a few months back where I was the one
telling the VP of teh comapny what the description of the job was. All he
knew was the salary of the guy that was there before. In tasks or job
decsription, he had no clue. Call it what you want but I call it ignorance.

G.Abenhaim