Projects are getting shorter and shorter

Subject: Projects are getting shorter and shorter
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:31:33 -0400

Not only are they getting shorter when your boss doesnt even have a clue of
what you do, but in my case recently, I dont even get product training
before I start writing my manuals. They tell you " it's due for this date"
and you just have to say OK and start writing what you know since there is
NO time in getting trained to begin with.

PLM will review the material and verify if it is accurate.
I dont agree that is the correct way of working but that's the way I started
working here as a writer. No one actually knows our products other than the
tech support person that is always on the road.
So, to improve techwriter;s work, I would recommend getting trained on the
company's products first and then research all requirements and existing
documentation. But of course, last but not least, educate managers on what
tech writers actually do!!

I may seem a bit frustrated but I see this happens all the time. No one is
aware of our tasks. Now, if our own managers have no clue, we as tech
writers should know exactly what our roles are. Then we can educate everyone
out there. It is a way to start..

has anyone been in this situation before?

/G