Re: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?

Subject: Re: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:44:23 -0700 (PDT)

I regularly develop things that might seem to be outside of the normal type of
work that a technical writer might do. But if I'm using more than a few hours
of company time, I start off with a well-researched and well-crafted proposal.
Especially if someone in my chain of command is a dictator or micro-manager.
It's just safer that way. (I do feel okay using more than a few hours of
company time to put together the proposal, though.)

Now, when it comes to working on cool things on my own time to use for work
(yes, I'm crazy, but if it's fun to put together, why not?), that's a whole
different matter. I've developed applications many times in the past to deal
with problems (such as adding some text to 6,000 HTML files, where grepping
wouldn't work), and have researched technologies that I might be able to
implement to handle an issue (as anyone who has read any of my posts where I go
on and on and on about JavaServer Pages knows :-).

-David Castro
email[at]davidcastro.com
http://jsp.davidcastro.com