Re: Is being technical writer boring

Subject: Re: Is being technical writer boring
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:23:04 -0400

So, the people you told that you are thinking about turning TW think that tech writing is boring? They wouldn't think about being tech writers themselves, so of course they think it's boring. For people with the write <wink> aptitude and attitude, it's interesting and fulfulling.

Just remember, you'll have to work with those people: they think tech writing can be done after everything else is finished. (They also think that QA starts when software development stops; i.e., "it's just testing.")

Give it a shot. If you spend a lot of time writing sys admin procedures you're well on your way.

Karen Black in Toronto, thinks dealing with project managers and Marketing mavens is boring

Is fearr socrú dá dhonacht ná dlí dá fheabhas.
It's better to solve the problem than to improve the law.

From: louise -at- poptel -dot- net

Currently working as a Microsoft systems administrator, I have been
seriously considering a change of direction and becoming a technical
writer. The response I get when I tell people my plan isn`t very
encouraging. The words 'boring' and 'dull' feature heavily in their
response, so what I really want to know is 'is technical writing
boring??'.

Some people would consider being a sys admin dull, I`m sure - and believe
me there are days when I feel like repeatedly banging my head against my
desk, but I don`t want to enter a profession that is going to bore me
stupid from day one. From a personal point of view all my research into
technical writing has left me really wanting to do it (and I know there
will be some dull and boring aspects of the work as in any job), but I
want some advice from those already employed in this area before I
seriously do anything about it.