Re: Documentation Change Requests

Subject: Re: Documentation Change Requests
From: John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:58:30 +0200

We use the same system as exists for the product we are documenting. We have change requests and bug tracking, but I tend to treat everything as bugs, since it's easier to deal with one system.

It doesn't have to be a bureaucratic quagmire, if you're efficient, and it can be very helpful, especially in a big project.

The first thing you should do is ask you client if you can fit the doc into the same system they use for the product.

What you should be looking for (off the top of my head) is:
- electronic way to submit requests
- ranking system, e.g. show stopper, must fix, bug, nice to have...
- assignment system (ie this job is assigned to John)
- a way of associating fixes with your version tracking system, if any
- a way to close the request (closed, no further action, fixed, etc.)
- some reporting / querying front end is nice to have

John Cornellier