Re: Indexing- Best Practices

Subject: Re: Indexing- Best Practices
From: guy <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:18:57 -0700

Peter Neilson wrote:
. . .

- Use only two levels in the index, even if your software allows
> more. There is never any excuse for a third level. Anyone who
> disagrees with me is invited to read Rombauer and Becker
> (my edition is 1975) and see how they handle the problem.
> Here, from the EGGS entry:
EGGS AND EGG DISHES
whites, to fold, 545, 665, 665
whites, stiff but not dry, 545
whites, uncooked, about, 743
yolk, to add to hot liquid, 543
yolks as sauce thickener, 339

Two levels is great, but it looks as though R&B's alphabetizing ignores elements like "to" and "as". That would be tricky to do in systems like Framemaker. Would "folding" and "adding" be acceptable?

Also, what about a rule on how many page citations should be
allowed on one entry before breaking it into sub-entries? If one
entry lists ten different pages, it is probably time to divide.

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com