Re: Ethical dilemma

Subject: Re: Ethical dilemma
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:40:56 -0600

28 Sep 2003 at 9:59, Annette wrote:

> Since June 12, 2003, she has been out 112 hours and charged
> that time to our regular charge number (and that number doesn't count
> the times she was out and charged the time correctly).
>
> So, the question is do I tell management what's going on?

I once found myself in a similar situation -- a coworker was coming
in late/leaving early, but putting full days on his/her timecard.

After weeks of this behavior, which also became noticed by another
coworker, we went to my supervisor. My supervisor had been out of
the office quite a bit and was unaware of the situation. Yes, I felt
guilty and like a tattle tale and yes, I looked at this person's timecard
when she/he wasn't around to confirm my suspicions. But I felt this
person was cheating me and the company. S/He was cheating me
because I was working my 8 hours and getting paid my 8 hours,
s/he was working 6 and getting paid 8. I was picking up the
workload when s/he was gone. Given the fact that all professional
employees received profit sharing and vacation based on hours
worked (and that even as salaried employees we were all required
to work at least 8 hours a day or use vacation time), everyone's
behavior affected the bottom line and the amount of money we all
took home in our checks. This person's behavior was affecting me
directly in a couple of ways.

In the end, it worked out OK. This person mended his/her ways and
the company was willing to work through the issue by letting the
person make up lost time. Even though my coworker and I went to
my supervisor under anonymity, I'm sure the person bending the
rules knew who "tattled". However, s/he was adult enough to deal
with the situation and move on.

Of course, you may want to argue that *I* was not being adult --
such is life....

Dana

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com