Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:05:30 -0700 (PDT)

> > Getting back to the point, and relating back to
> > degrees, I can honestly see *a* value to higher
> > degrees and certification when it comes to
> > *perceived
> > credibility*.
>
> I don't think it is about perceived credibility. I
> think it more about having a measuring stick against
> which a potential employer can get an idea of what
> you
> should know and how you may be measured in relation
> other potential employees.

What are they measuring, and from what? They are
measuring your skills by what you wrote on a piece of
paper. Everything taken from that paper is perceived.

> If Tech Writing was a profession with a well
> established history in higher-education then I don't
> think that this discussion would have taken place.
> It
> would be assumed that as a Technical Writer, you are
> educated to high-level.

Um, that WAS the history! Historically speaking, a
technical writer, or technical author, was totally
emmersed in a subject, wrote about it, refined the
thoughts, and then handed it off to an editor, who
then handed it either vack to the author for rework or
handed it off to a typesetter... there was a typist in
there somewhere (probably between the writer and the
editor) as well. Historically, technical writers
wrote, and typists took memo pads and journals and
made them legible.

> I think that this concern is largely founded in
> personal insecurity and extenuated when a person has
> a low self esteem.

Could be, but personally speaking, that doesn't
describe me at all. I only have a BS. I don't intend
on going any higher. I've taught theory and practice
to many, and the scope was much more practical than
what you'd find in college.

> Seasoned Tech Writers, with a successful track
> record
> can make a name for themselves in a number of ways.
> In
> my experience the most productive has been
> networking.

Networking indeed works. That is how I landed over 50%
of my jobs, and the better 50% at that.

> I have also found that a Tech Writer with the above
> can, in some organizations, lend credibility to the
> product literature.

No way! ;-)

> There are a number of cases where, Tech Writers have
> worked themselves into the position of becoming a
> SME
> on a subject and they have published great technical
> works that often serve as a reference to the
> developer
> community. Most of these people have been self
> employed and entrepreneurial in nature.

True. But, remember the "you write books?" thread?

> Still, though they had no higher-education, they
> were
> able to enhance their visibility and credibility
> very
> effectively.

All true. But, you make one assumption - that all
employers look at that stuff. Many do not, which is a
shame.

> Some argue that it is the responsibility of
> organizations such as the STC to elevate the
> profession. In some respect this is true and to some
> degree they have done so. Yet, these bodies can only
> achieve this goal in tandem with their membership.
> This said, I am often confounded when seemingly
> brilliant initiatives that should have a positive
> impact for the profession are met, time and again,
> with distinct lack-luster in the community.

It's not so much the what but the how of the
initiative. And, the STC doesn't have a solid history
of pulling this stuff off without frustrating those
assisting in it.

> Yes, but it depends on what the employer is looking
> for. I have met many employers who are little
> impressed by people having titles and prefer to look
> for concrete proof or results that are based in
> practical experience.

Right, but every coin has two sides.

I still post as myself to this and other forums.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com