re: What to do???

Subject: re: What to do???
From: "Lauren Tozer" <TAMETO01 -at- noa -dot- nintendo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:41:56 -0800

>> Sean Hower wrote:
>So, a native Russian speaker using English will make the same kinds of
mistakes as other native Russian speakers.
>These mistakes are usually caused by carryover from the native
language. So, understanding the native language
>may also help deciphering the pidgin, and that will make editing it
easier.

To elaborate further, my partner was a Russian Linguist for the US
Army. While she became very proficient with the language and even
mastered the accent to a certain degree, she says that a native speaker
could always pick her as a native English speaker because she would use
English sentence constructions. While not incorrect most of the time,
it make her stick out like a sore thumb (verbally speaking).

>From what she tells me, Russian sentence structure is very loose, so
speakers will group words they want to emphasize together, while we tend
to stick with our "noun get verbed" approach to sentence structure.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com