Re: Estimating hours for XML to FrameMaker project

Subject: Re: Estimating hours for XML to FrameMaker project
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:09:00 -0800 (PST)

It's hard to say how long a piece of string is without
having seen the string.

I have some technical problems with the method chosen
that may impact of the time required for the project.

--- Pspubs -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
> -- We're starting with two XML files that were made
> from two Excel files, so
> the data is unstructured and in no particular order.

I'm not sure how data kept in records and columns can
be unstructured. It seems to me that if you have
managed to keep data in an unstructured manner in
excel then saving to xml will create a file that is
equally unstructured. The xml will therefore be
invalid.

> --One of the XML files has the information about
> each state in the union (52
> elements).
>
> --The other XML file is contact information that
> must be filtered differently
> for each state. As it stands now, this is the only
> filtering needed.

Is there a key that forms a contract between these
records? If not then merging the files will just
result in more work. Perhaps you will first have to
create the key in the second file and then associate
each record with a state record from the first file.
Depending on how many records are in the second file,
this may take a variable amount of time.

> Here are the two tasks I need to estimate.
>
> --Use XSL to combine the two XML files into one, in
> a more structured format
> that matches the desired FrameMaker report.

a) the xml must be well-formed and valid.
b) the data dictionary used for your elements must be
consistently applied.
c) to create an xsl that will input two xml files and
output a single xml you will need to have some way of
knowing when to merge what. As I understand it, if
conditions a) and b) are met you will still not be
able to merge the xml's into an intelligent structure.
You will need a key. So in my opinion, first merge the
two files in excel and then export to xml.
Alternately, use ODBC. This way you will be able to
create a SQL queries that will enable you to retrieve
and filter the data from both files into a single
report. The reports can then be outputted to xml or
another format.

If possible, try to remain in the database format and
link your frame template to that database. Whether
that be an xml or excel database. This will enable the
data to be maintained in a single place and
automatically updated.

Sorry for not giving you time estimates, but as I said
"It's hard to say how long a piece of string is
without having seen the string."

Perhaps you can confirm or clarify the problems I have
listed and then give more detailed specs, such as how
many records in the second file. The state of your
data dictionary and the rules of the tree structure
(DTD/XSD).

Sean Wheller

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/