RE: Finding Local Tech Writing Job...

Subject: RE: Finding Local Tech Writing Job...
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:20:43 -0500

> From: bchaney -at- ccprodesign -dot- com [mailto:bchaney -at- ccprodesign -dot- com]
Who did you contact? Did you just send a resume to the company? HR?

Nancy Kaminski responded:
When I was doing cold calls, I went to the business library and found a directory of high-tech companies in town. This very useful directory listed the upper management of each company.

Does your company have a daily or weekly---or even monthly---business newspaper? We have the weekly tabloid-sized Rochester Business Journal (RBJ). The articles are great for picking up the names of specific managers at local companies, and there is a Top xxx Companies list in every issue. Each list targets a particular industry and gives lots of details about each company, including the name of the CEO/President/General Manager. RBJ also publishes an annual Book of Lists which is a compilation of all the weekly lists plus a few extra. You can buy the BoL separately if you don't want to (or can't afford to) subscribe to the journal. (The Book of Lists comes free to journal subscribers.)

Every year, at least one of the lists is Top High-Tech Companies. Sometimes they break it down into industry-specific lists, like Opto-electronic Companies or Telecom Companies. Once in a while, they also include Top Startups, which includes the 25 companies that show the largest gross sales during their first year. Those guys are prime targets for my cold-contact efforts. They may not realize they need my services right now, but my brochure and business card will be there when they discover that they really do need some type of documentation and/or marketing collateral.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com