Re: What is a "lifestyle polygraph"

Subject: Re: What is a "lifestyle polygraph"
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:48:51 -0500

At 02:07 PM -0500 2003-12-01, John Posada wrote:

Hi, guys...I saw a position advertised on a job board and
the positions calls for a "lifestyle polygraph".

If anyone has taken one of them, I'm wondering what kind of
questions that entails.

I've been required to take a lifestyle polygraph twice. In both cases, it was scheduled between the initial management interview and a second interview with the work team, so the company only had to pay for 2-3 polygraph tests rather than fork over a huge hunk of cash to test every applicant.

In one case, the questions were reasonable. The company was a financial services firm, and the questions were geared toward determining whether the candidate would be likely to embezzle funds or sell confidential information.

The second company, however, used a set of questions that seemed to have little relevance to the job duties. The polygraph technician was extremely (and loudly) abusive to the candidate ahead of me. The questions were clearly audible out in the waiting room, and included things like:
o Your drug test results raised a few questions. When was the date on which you last used an illegal drug?
o You smell like a distillery. How many drinks did you have at lunch?
o I have your credit report right here. How many times in the last year did you miss a bill or loan payment due date?
o Have you ever overdrawn your checking account? Remember, we're going to call your bank manager.
o Have you ever committed a felony or misdemeanor? Your answer will be verified by a call to the police department.
+ several detailed questions about sexual habits/preferences.

I declined to take the test, and told the company's HR department why I was withdrawing my application for the job. I'm told they now use a different polygraph contractor.
--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com