Re: Taxonomy Development

Subject: Re: Taxonomy Development
From: "Steve Arrants" <steve -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "Len Kirby" <Len -dot- Kirby -at- pwrm -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:35:33 -0500

"Len Kirby" <Len -dot- Kirby -at- pwrm -dot- com> writes:
I need some advice on taxonomy development for a website knowledgebase.
My Google-research taught me that a taxonomy is a classification scheme
containing vocabulary and navigation to make content easier to find. It
will also help guide content development because 'holes' in the content
will have to be filled.

Len --
At CNET, we called this developing the ontology of a site. I had some notes
on this along with some references, but, unfortunately, they're a few years
old and they're packed in storage since we just moved to Vermont. KM
Magazine (Knowledge Management) was a good resource -- Google "KM" and
"Knowledge Management" and "Web ontology" for some pointers. What I can
remember is that many of the skills you'd use to write are applicable
here--interviewing end users to determine HOW they approach a topic, the
language they use, how they organize information, etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

steve arrants