Converting Framemaker files

Subject: Converting Framemaker files
From: Julia Price <Julia -dot- Price -at- ClearOne -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:31:49 -0700

Hello everyone.

I've searched the archives as well as online on how to convert framemaker
files to quark files, and although I'm learning a few things, I don't feel
like I have a solid answer.

Here's the deal. My company was sent a bunch of .fm files that we need to
convert to quark files. I was asked to read up on the subject since no one
here knows much about it or framemaker at all for that matter. We do not
have framemaker and are therefore unable to open the files at all. (I found
several articles on converting framemaker to word but you had to be able to
open the files in framemaker to begin with.) Also I looked up some
information on xtensions, but it seems the files have to be in .MIF where
mine are in .FM. I also looked at things like Webworks Publisher and
Filtrex, but I'm still in the dark.

Here's what I'm wondering. Would it be best to send the files back to the
original company and have them change the files to .MIF and then get an
xtension program? Are .MIF files the only way to convert? Is there any way
I can convert without an extension and without Framemaker? Any other
suggestions on where to look for answers?

We do have PDFs of the documents. Is that any help? Or does that just doom
me to copying and pasting?

I'm fairly new to TECHWR-L so if this topic has been exhausted and I just
didn't notice it in the archives, feel free to contact me offline or point
me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help.

Julia
julia -dot- price -at- clearone -dot- com