Re: Giving TW help: Are we training our replacements?

Subject: Re: Giving TW help: Are we training our replacements?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:21:14 -0800

"Goober Writer" <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:224719 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> It's a learning experience on both sides. You should
> answer the questions in a way that makes the "asker"
> do their homework. For stupid stuff like how-to in FM,
> sure, I'll blurt out an answer. That's non-threatening
> enough - tools are tools. But how to plan, or how to
> think (that's what it all boils down to... thinking),
> I drop nuggets and let people pan their own gold off
> the tip.
>
> I learned a lot from mailing lists, and I hold them in
> high regard. But, I learned the most from people who
> HINTED me in the right direction. I've learned even
> more through "nudged" self-investigation.

True. I wonder how it would go over in such communities, however, if someone
gave a response to one of these fundamenttals-type questions along the lines
of "You know, there are plenty of people who are well-trained in this
profession and who would be willing to and interested in doing that
documentation task right for your company. Interested in hiring a trained
professional, rather than trying to get ad-hoc training here?'

My guess, probably not that well. But how many of us think it and either
answer the question or, like Goober's good suggestion, push people in the
right direction.

> =====
> Goober Writer
> (because life is too short to be inept)
>
> "As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
> immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
> -- Geoff Hart

I still say that this quote is originall from a Robert A. Heinlein book, a
quote by the character Lazarus Long. But did amazon disable its search
within book text? I can't go find out for myself.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf