RE: Where does Documentation belong?

Subject: RE: Where does Documentation belong?
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:46:18 -0500

1989-1994. Financial Systems (IT) > Training & Documentation. Learned a lot about mainframe software, policies & procedures, usability, online docs...

1994-1998. Information Technology > Customer Service > Quality Assurance > Documentation. Worked well, great boss, lots of communication with all groups.

1998-1999. Information Technology > Customer Service > Customer Support (i.e., Helpdesk) > Documentation. Could have worked, but lousy boss. No contact with anyone any more.

1999-2001. Technical Publications. Boooorrrrrrrinnnnnng.

2001-present. Information Technology > Relationship Management & Delivery > Quality Assurance. I am editor of software lifecycle documents, a software quality analyst, and software release coordinator. Not a writer any more, but people ask me to review their résumés and cover letters...

Where does documentation ultimately belong? Beats the heck outa me.

Karen Black in Toronto, still trying to persuade mgmt of the ROI of documentation when we have to roll back the same implementation twice ... because there was no technical design

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca