Re: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:44:21 -0500

Dick Margulis writes:

Now that we've written all those chunks, we're in a position to assemble our various outputs from them (with a good deal of automation one would hope), picking the category of information needed for the particular output document and organizing the chunks according to the plan for that document.

Wow! I've seen the light (and the possibilities!). Having said that, it
seems to me that you'd have to be working for a company that has quite
sophisticated views about documentation in order to be given the time to set all this up. The benefits are (now) obvious, but, as you say, the set-up time has to be weighed against time saved by avoiding duplicative work.
This brings to mind the recent thread on where documentation belongs. If it is in a centralized department, then designing and developing a
single-sourcing system could be cost-effective, but if writers belong to
different development teams in the R&D department, and if the training
development group is in a different country, then the costs would appear to be prohibitive.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3